Imagine a motorcycle crash so devastating that it actually forces your internal organs to the other side of your chest cavity.
Now imagine surviving such a crash.
That’s exactly the situation a 48-year-old man experienced following a rib-rattling collision.
After being taken to the emergency room, doctors discovered that the man’s heart had actually rotated 90 degrees to wind up on the right side of his chest, instead of on the left where it belongs.
Doctors treating the injured man discovered that the motorcycle collision was not the actual cause of the heart’s repositioning. Instead, the man’s condition developed hours after the crash.
Treating doctors found the man had suffered lung puncture, which created an air leak to build up and fill his chest cavity. This build up was the cause of the heart’s rotation. After doctors drained the air, the man’s heart returned to its correct placement.
As this news story illustrates, a motorcycle crash can cause internal injuries and some that aren’t immediately obvious.
Some injuries can look relatively harmless at first, but then develop into a more serious issue that requires additional medical attention.
For instance, deep bruising will appear immediately on the skin. But severe trauma can cause internal bleeding beyond the damaged surface. Doctors warn that this type of blunt trauma can pose an additional danger if the injured person does not seek medical attention.
According to the online medical reference website, WebMD, some signs of internal bleeding following trauma include:
- “Abdominal pain and/or swelling can be caused by internal bleeding from trauma in the liver or spleen. As the bleeding continues, the symptoms worsen.
- Light-headedness, dizziness, or fainting can result from any source of internal bleeding once enough blood is lost.
- A large area of deeply purple skin (called ecchymosis) can result from bleeding into the skin and soft tissues.
- Swelling, tightness, and pain in the leg can result from internal bleeding in the thigh. Most often, this is caused by a fracture of the thighbone.
- Headache and loss of consciousness could be the result of Internal bleeding in the brain.”
If you are injured in a motorcycle crash, you should monitor any bleeding and worsening of symptoms. Seek medical attention following a crash.
Photo credit: robeo / 123RF Stock Photo